Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Churri and homemade dog food

I love dogs and now, even though my dog is away at home, I'm getting some dog in my day now that 2 of my roommates brought them along. So I have dogs on my mind...

I entered a "favorite photo" contest and one of my entries is *My cute pup Churri!* He really brightened my day when I was around him and makes my stays at home more enjoyable.

I like looking/getting cookbooks, and one of the last cookbooks I got was a cookbook for dogs.
I forgot what it was called. I was excited to use it after seeing all the pictures of delectable meals/treats. But something threw me off. One of the recipes called for onions! I'm pretty sure that onions are on the list of things that dogs should NOT eat. When I first brought Churri home (and before as well), I looked up lots of info on taking care of dogs. My family had owned one dog + 8 pups before, but I was young and I wanted to do everything correctly. Me and my sister started watching The Dog Whisperer and got tips from Cesar's (the dog whisper) website. I checked out different sites for info like socializing dogs, separation anxiety, what food is best for dogs, how to discipline your dog, what dogs should not eat. I had to make sure my dog didn't get table scraps like chicken bones, onions, grapes, raisins, salt, chocolate or any other people food that fell on the floor because it could be harmful. Anyway, how could a person writing a cookbook for dogs AND the editors let this slip? I was scared to use the cookbook after that. I'm not sure if recipes I find online are more reliable, but I feel that way for some reason. Maybe because the people who post the recipes are feeding the food to their own dogs (and not getting paid for their recipes). I found a recipe by the brown eyed baker for Peanut Butter Banana Cake for Dogs. There are pics of her dog eating the cake!

I'd like to make Churri food once in awhile, like on his birthday, but not everyday or he won't eat his regular food. XD

I wonder how people come up with these dog recipes. I guess dogs aren't too picky anyway! Where would someone get "safe" dog food recipes?

1 comment:

  1. I don't have a dog of my own but my friend has one and I'm sure she'd love to read this post and learn more about dog food. She's been spending too much on dog food, it's a good idea to rather make it herself! :-) Thanks for sharing!

    As a serious food blogger, I'm thinking you might be interested to join this year's International Food Blogger Conference in Seattle, on August 27 til 29. It's an annual conference for food bloggers like us. They have an amazing lineup of speakers and it'll definitely be a great experience. They also offer sponsorships we can take advantage of. If you want to know more, you might want to visit this page.

    Hope to see you there, more power to your blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Photo of the Day

NYAN NYAN!